Saturday, April 02, 2011

purple flowers


I have been busy making fun purple flowers for my daughter's dance benefit at Purchase College that will be part of the table decor for the silent auction. Since we have April Showers and no May flowers blooming yet and a small budget for decor expenses - I have to work with what I've got!

My florist let me borrow these really cool wicker vases. Branches have been gathered and cut and flowers made. Inspired by "the art of doing stuff" and her brilliant tissue paper pom poms.....I added acetate....and store bought butterflies. I attached the purple flowers to the branches. Brown paper will be used along with purple acetate to cover the tables. I am making birds now with signs for the various categories. A silent auction will be on display for the guests to raise money for the Steffi Nossen School of dance.
Just look at these pretty dancers spending hours in the studio preparing for this event. It takes tremendous dedication for the dancer (and the parent) to be on time for classes and dress rehearsals!
The show is tonight. My daughter will be dancing with a cast on her broken left wrist from a snow-boarding fall. One might say "break a leg" - but I think I will just say dance with your heart!
Good luck to all the dancers~

18 comments:

meenal bishnoi said...

your flowers are gorgeous, patricia.i do love making tissue paper pompoms for my kids' birthdays( quite an expert i've become now)..never tried flowers though...hope your daughter's dance performance goes off well..happy weekend to the proud mommie!! xx meenal

Formerly known as Frau said...

Beautiful flowers...The dedication dancers have amaze me..I hope her performance goes well and the fundraiser is huge success.

Ann said...

I enjoy watching your creativity blossom out of your talented hands!

Love the purple flowers. And you tablescape ideas.

Sounds like a fun evening is ahead!

Purple Flowers said...

I love those purple flowrs. You are very creative. With a very small expense account, you will see to it that the centerpieces are indeed beautiful.

Agree - dance with your heart and soul smiling!

Crystal said...

these flowers are wonderful! They so remind me of the facial tissue roses we made when we were kids. :-)

Divine Theatre said...

I remember my first dance lessons...so magical! Such dreams!
Lovely post!

Nelle Somerville said...

Very cute and the dancers are so pretty. Hope the show is a huge success as well as the event.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Oh fun, this should be a wonderful event, the flowers are adorable! Janell

Unknown said...

Pretty flowers for pretty dancers! I am so impressed with the achievement of our youngsters! Much dedication and hard work goes into their passions!
And such beautiful results!
Happy weekend, dear friend!

the gardener's cottage said...

i like the way you used the paper flowers with the branches and wicker vases. it's all v earthy. wishing you all a wonderful night.

xo
janet

Kelley said...

Wow, great minds really do think alike! Good luck with the dance recital. It's true that dance takes a lot of dedication on the part of the dancer and the parent. My parents drove me to ballet lessons for years and I never thanked them for it.

Dana said...

Love, love the purple flowers!

24 Corners said...

Those flowers look exactly like Lisianthus...beautiful!
Best to your daughter tonight....she's such a trooper!!
xo J~

Unknown said...

Love your flowers. I hope the evening is a great success.

BarbaraG

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

an incredibly talented mama ~ but of course, we knew this already. ;)

best of dancing wishes to your beautiful daughter.

quintessence said...

Love your beautiful flowers! And what a dedicated daughter - dancing with her cast!! Good luck to her - I'm sure she'll do brilliantly. Love your photos - especially the second with the lovely sense of movement.

The Art of Doing Stuff said...

Yay! I'm so happy when I find out someone has actually done one of the things I've posted about. (I'm even more pleased when the project turns out looking good) Good job! ~ karen

LindsB said...

I just helped host a bridal shower for my good friend and I made a ton of pink pompoms for the favors-they are so easy to make but have such a colorful impact.

Love your purple version here!