Thursday, January 14, 2010

table talk


Original coffee table designed and made by Frances Newman, previous owner of our home
She came with the house, the original owners left her behind for us. She was made by the owner who was an artist. We loved this table for many years and always "talked" of making a change.
Part of us felt she belonged here and the other part wanted to replace her. Our quest began to find a new table. My husband and I love to shop with one another and as he likes to say, "leave no stone unturned." He can exhaust me with the amount of research. I call him Mr. Consumer Report. We have all the issues to refer to for appliances, gadgets and more.
new coffee table from crate and barrel
The search came to an end. Meet our new oval shaped table. We had looked at several second hand shops, many stores and one day while returning an item, I happened to run into this table here. I had several gift cards from some acrued points and a pleasant sales associate who indicated a discount that happened to all lead to good timing. It was perfect, two levels, glass, and the bonus of the bottom being mirrored to reflect and radiate light from our fire as well as our southern exposure. The edge is lovely, sort of uneven, hammered and the height is perfect.
Enter, new gal, she is a nice oval shape, two levels, the lower level is a wonderful spot for books and the upper for holding bowls of clementines and drinks while we sit by the fire.
Now that this new table is a member of our home, I think the table is talking me into getting a new rug and I also heard some comment about the couch looking "sad." Funny how a change can lead to another change. The rug has seen lots of life and been well loved but now I see something sleeker, textured and perhaps a geometric pattern. Talk to me, tell me what rugs are talking to you?


13 comments:

abby jenkins said...

I love Madeline Weinrib's carpets, timeless and contemporary. I've also noticed quite a few 'knock-offs" for much less $.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/rugs-carpets/madeline-weinrib-carpets-024848

Debra said...

I like your new table. Rugs-oh I do love to look at rugs. We have mostly family rugs and I like knowing that many have walk upon them. It is funny how one thing can lead to another-even if you move one piece of furniture!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

PVE we are on the same path today. My post I have ready for later involves Crate and Barrel. The rug issue is one I struggle with in my own home. I have a beloved Golden Retriever, 2 teenagers and their friends. My husband and I love seagrass,sisal,jute as well as orientals and silks but have found wool just holds up well to pets and a lot of daily traffic. Not to mention many of them are so inexpensive. Vacuum, send them out once a year for cleaning=low maintence. One day I am going to try some that clients are enjoying. The new table is perfect. Can we talk about those chairs in the picture...beautiful!

pve design said...

Abby-
yes, love Madeline Weinrib's carpets.
pve

Debra,
thanks - and I do love rugs, especially old ones.
pve

Acanthus and Acorn,
Yes, 3 kids, 1 dog and a busy life can add to the patina and richness of life. I am taking this (rug) to get cleaned today
Please take a seat, those chairs need some tlc too.
Love your thoughts.
pve

Joyce said...

The new gal looks wonderful in her new home! OK I have to ask what happened to the senior gal?


I love C&B! Always close to my heart I worked for them for several years. The joke with my love is that we had to sell our condo because it was starting to look like a packed C&B store.

Enjoy your golden day! xo

pve design said...

Joyce,
senior gal is hanging on downstairs, but truth be told, we are thinking of selling her. Is that wrong?
pve

Purple Flowers said...

I would think about going for a design that possibly mimics the original coffee table. Something artsy (very you), contemporary and conversational. Yet, it would blend w/your chairs and sofa. C&B might been worth your looking at! Good luck. :)

Emily said...

I was actually admiring the rug that you currently have underneath your new table! The new table is very nice. Enjoy!!!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I love that your house has been inhabited for artists for years now :-) The new coffee table is very stylish -so true that one change initiates others. Maybe a sisal rug?

Gwen Driscoll said...

Love the new table. One of my favorite clients sayings is "You refinish a dining room table and end up redecorating the whole house." In her case, so true.

I love Weinrib rugs but if your budget doesn't allow for that I've seen some good things in Pottery Barn and West Elm in recent seasons. My guess is they will keep churning out good stuff for the budget minded.

Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Gwen Driscoll
Ragland Hill Social

Kwana said...

I love your new table! Don't know why I didn't mention it yesterday and I meant to. It is gorgeous as well as the newly upholstered chair. You are doing such a great job.

Starr said...

It's fun to see "I Married Adventure" on your table. I've debated getting it for years. I saw on Amazon that it's been reprinted, but the zebra-print original cover has such style.

Ms. Bright said...

Very pretty. I do understand the sentiment of the previous piece, however! I also have called the hubs Mr. Consumer Report before! That made me chuckle. It's exhausting but at least they're thourough and make informed decisions!! haha