Wednesday, January 06, 2010

knit and chat group

pve design hand knit baby "acorn" hat - available in my etsy shop
Many of you know that as an artist, we normally have more than one trick up our sleeves. Creativity is an essential element for everyone so please don't think that creativity is only for artists, writers, musicians.

Today is knitting day, several years ago, a dear friend and I were chatting about how much fun it would be to take some time to meet and to knit. I would put on a pot of tea or coffee and we would meet. Our group grew and then we each decided that it would work best as a sort of "lunch" hour so the person who hosts serves lunch. We rotate homes, no schedule, just a time to gather, bring our sticks and strings and knit.

As my pve business has grown, I began taking artwork feeling like I could not waste a moment to knit, but I realized that was like bringing your work to a golf outing. So today, the first meeting of the New Year, I resolve to knit, to give myself permission to knit, to feel the yarn, and appreciate each knit and purl whilst we keep one another in stitches. I would encourage each of you to set aside some time to meet with a friend, sew, knit, or select a craft that ties you together. In this world of fast paced techno-tronic over drive, it sure is nice to meet face to face, knit, nosh and chat. The laughter, learning, the creativity, the support and the link to friends is so crucial on a regualar basis. The continuing act of creativity keeps us young.

Tell me, do you have a "creative" group that meets weekly? It will add years to your life.

(By the way no.7 is the winner of the "French" pattern giveaway and it goes to Joyce at Perfect
Beginning - Woo hoo, congrats to you!)

16 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

We used to have a group that we called the "Knittin' Kittens", but really, we were mostly the Drinking Kittens. I got some fabulous cashmere at Purl Soho and am making a cowl.

Karena said...

So darling! Love the little cap you designed! I was in a book club for years and my schedule has now prevented me from attending. I go to Open Studio at a local gallery, not every week. You have really given me food for thought Patricia!

Deidra said...

I love that hat! I used to have a small group and a book club group and this year I'm considering getting involved again with some kind of group.

Yay to Joyce! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Swetha said...

thats lovely !!!! i like that color!

Magpie said...

That hat is adorable. I need a knitting group; I need the support to embark upon a sweater...

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Very sound idea Mrs. PvE! You're a creative and redirecting your creativity for a moment won't have anything but a positive impact on your work. (After all, as a creative your mind is constantly working, taking in detail, mulling things over.) A shift in perspective or media will energize you.

I don't have a group, but I do have friends who have raised the art of living a few degrees higher. They inspire me and because they don't really bump up against my world professionally, we get to chat about everything else. Which is refreshing as I can get a bit obsessive about the search for elegance. Just ask Mrs. E.

Joyce said...

I use to porcelain paint with some gals years ago, but haven't the last couple of years. It is fun sharing your passion with others. Have fun today with your girlfriends!! xo

PS Yahooo.... thank you!!! I think I will break the news to my mom with a large bottle of asprins and a note attach to it. She is going to need it, trust me. Thanks again!!

Sandra said...

I don't have a creative group that meets, but that is a great idea! I want to be part of one now!! xoox

Emily said...

Very good! I'm glad you resolved to knit something sweet and enjoy that treat! It's hard when you have many different activities going. Love the little acorn hat. I learned how to do the basket weave over X-mas break. Now I have to keep up with it or I'll forget everything!! Hope you're stll on the mend.

Debra said...

Love that cute acorn hat! We don't meet every week, but there is a small group of us that gets together fairly regularly. Some knit, some crochet, some just come to be part of a warm, caring group. It's really a delightful few hours. Then there is the cooking group...that's in the evening and great fun!

Kwana said...

I can't tell you how happy I was to get back to the group after vacation today. So happy to see all of us together again and you are right it's great to just sit and do something different.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

My mother (great knitter) taught me a few years ago and I just haven't found the time. So much to do, so little time. Glad you have found the time.

Happy 2010!

xo,
cristin

Mariss said...

Indeed I do! I'm going to our weekly knitting circle at a yarn store in Philadelphia tonight. I agree, you need some time to relax and refresh - especially if you want to come back with new ideas!

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

Oh PVE, it is so good to be back in the blog world! Not to say I didn't enjoy every single second of my holiday reprieve, but I missed all the creativity that flows throughout the posts of my favorite bloggers/artists!

I spent a great deal of time knitting and just sent off a few as gifts for my January birthday girls!
My friend LOVED her Christmas gift and as soon as she frames it, I'm sending you a photo of it up on her walls!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You have described so perfectly why I love to knit. In fact, I gave nine! knitted garments for Christmas presents. Your knitting group sounds so much fun. I do wish Edward and I could attend. He loves to lie on my feet when I knit!

Love the baby hat!!

Unknown said...

Hi Patricia
I love you little hat. Very sweet. I have a painting buddy and we try to get together once a week to paint large mixed media canvases. It is a new endeavour and I find it very relaxing and cathartic.