Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Shelf - "stoicism"

"Cloud Shadows" - Winslow Homer

When we suddenly find ourselves under a "Cloud Shadow" of life, we need to take a moment to reflect.  Life teaches us lessons as well as the history of ancient philosophy.  

"Happiness is the good flow of life."  
                                                      Zeno
Zeno was an ancient Greek Philosopher, the founder of the "stoic" school of philosophy.
Stoicism placed great emphasis on the goodness of peace of mind by living a life according to nature.
"Weary" - Winslow Homer
When you are weary, find a spot under a solid tree outdoors and feel the power of nature.
Take a moment to find solace in nature. 
"Two are company- Three are none" - Winslow Homer (illustration)
During the last week, my mind has been shadowed with cloudy thoughts, sadness, loss, anger, frustration, yet the virtue of stoicism reigns supreme in my mind.  Often, alone time is best in order to find peace of mind.

"Sunlight and Shadow" -Winslow Homer  
(Day's missed on a Hammock, a gal after my own heart)

As the artist Winslow Homer said. 
"Look at nature, work independently, solve your own problems."  

 Often, finding solace in nature does provide the answers to solving one's problems but it is also with the help of stoic friends and family who have a way of standing tall, proud and full of virtue.
Are you living a life of virtue?  True good can only exist in virtue.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Patricia...I'm speechless for (maybe) no reason at all....Beautiful post! Thx for sharing, Carmela.
ps: As an answer to the question I say'd: I try!!!

Purple Flowers said...

I have always believed I am a student of life, always learning to seek my higher self. I am aware and in awe of the beauty and balance in nature. I believe nature can help to balance us if we are in tune and allow for it to happen.
I continually strive to live a life of virture. I have been fortunate to have family who live by example.

qerat said...

Beautiful post
Thank you

pve design said...

C.T-
It is when we allow the voice of moral excellence be our guide that we try our best.
I applaud you for giving it a good "try!"
Have a stoic Sunday!
pve

Purple -
We are fortunate to lead by example.
pve

kks said...

love the new design, and thanks for the previous tea site, i love tea and have been looking to expand my supplies..

Topsy Turvy said...

I love your sources of inspiration - art, nature and the philosophers. Great post.

–Lana

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

patricia- beautiful thoughts and pictures. thank you. G

Karena said...

There is so much beautiful nature surrounding me. A walking path across the way , ponds with geese, etc. Look for my new Directions series soon to come.

Joyce said...

Sometimes life does through us curve balls. There are lessons to be learned some will hit us on the head and some we have to search. My thoughts are to learn from my lessons, embrase (even when I don't want to), and share if it might help someone else. The lessons I use to help me become a better person. I find sometimes the hard knocks are the ones I learn more from, maybe to be reminders to appreciate the beauty around. xoxo

Holly said...

PvE -- another beautiful post.

That incredibly Yankee virtue of stoicism is one to be honored and emulated. Dig deep. You will emerge a better, more compassionate person.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Homer's paintings seem to radiate peace, don't they. Time spent alone in the beauty of nature often settles my spirit as well. Just sitting under a tree with Edward does wonders.

Linda in AZ * said...

* Both my husband and I have always tried to "do what's right, even when nobody's looking". So far, it has served us very well. Good posting today, and thanks, Linda in AZ *

CashmereLibrarian said...

"...All things fall and are built again
And those that build them again are gay."
from Lapis Lazuli by WB Yeats

La Maison Fou said...

A good post for the Sabbith
Leslie

gina said...

I've always loved Homer - and these go so well with your thoughts. I needed that post today... dealing with many 'unpeaceful' feelings myself this week. Alone time is just the thing I need. Thank you!

I sure love the new look of your blog! Your green - your signature color I would guess? Love it!

Anonymous said...

hi patricia, just wanted to stop by to say thanks for visiting my blog...i love yours and visited it the other day, but for some reason couldn't post a comment (i was out of town and on a computer which i'm not too fond of!) back now...love your illustrations & design -- my inlaws live in ardsley (i hate the word ex-inlaws - i still love them ! ) take care ~

kim

Kwana said...

Beautiful post. I'm hoping for calmer waters ahead. Sometimes alone time and peace and silence is best. Just time to hear your own thoughts and the divine voice.

BTW. I love the new blog look.

Clarity said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and your lovely comment. I agree, nature is enriching and essential.

Tara said...

Ah, Patricia, a hammock shot just for me!

Wasn't it Sartre that said, "Hell is other people"? If I can just spend some time alone with my thoughts, I can let go of some negative emotions that usually someone else has planted in me! It's why I need my hammock!

:0)
Tara

Millie said...

A truly beautiful post Patricia. Sometimes I think I cross the line & move from stoicism into martydom, but Mr. Serial Renovator quickly puts me right! Yes, time alone with one's own company is pivotal to a healthy life in all senses. And no, I don't think I live a life of virtue, but am now on notice!
Millie ^_^

Unknown said...

i had no idea what a fan i was of Winslow Homer's work until now - the first picture (clouds) is stunning.
xox