Tuesday, May 13, 2008

reading, writing, arithmetic and art

Many friends ask, "Did any of your children inherit your artistic genes?"  Well, yes - my eldest son is an artist.  His school schedule is quite intense and currently allows no time for Art Class this year, but he takes time to draw or doodle during math class.  I guess it should bother me that he can still get A's in math and draw.  For you see math and I never quite got along and still, I would be perfectly happy to by-pass math and go straight to the "art" of the matter. Growing up, many friends and family would look at my art work and tell me how "talented" I was.  They never looked at my math and said that, odd.   Here is one of his drawings, he calls it "micro city." Go figure.

13 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

It looks like the sketches I did constantly as a child of cities! You may have a budding architect on your hands! Thanks for sharing this!!

pve design said...

be the change-
love to see some of your architectural renderings!
patricia

littlebyrd said...

Very cool! I think it is so neat how deeply the artistic gene runs in your family. Oh - and I can relate on your math experiences!

Kwana said...

That's fantastic!

simply seleta said...

How detailed! Truly a gifted child. :-)

Erin Gates said...

Wonderful drawing! I too was horrendously poor at math, and spent my time drawing and painting, as did my brothers. We'd sit at my dad's drafting desk and draw imaginary houses (mine always included floor plans with all furniture and accessories, of course). Such a wonderful way to go through childhood- pencil in hand!

Ellen Gerstein said...

Very imaginative. He should try writing and illustrating science fiction!

Michelle said...

ooooh wow....how old is he....amazing art !

Mrs.French said...

So wonderful! the whole math part too. I cannot relate.

Melissa Lewis said...

I am so with you on the math thing. I was never good at math and thus have always hated it.

On another note, your son's drawing is sooooooo good!

Mary-Laure said...

Wow, he's really very talented! I love his city...
I think it's not just the genes, it was also probably seeing you at work, enjoying your creations, that inspired him...?

mommytherobot.blogspot.com said...

thats funny. all my life i've been an artist and i never was good at math when i was at school. except one year when i had a tutor i aced every exam. this is why my husband does the taxes! i wonder if my daughter would inherit my artistic hand. you must be proud!

Elizabeth said...

Math and I are mortal enemies!

I can, however, wield a palette knife with aplomb.