Wednesday, February 27, 2008

doyenne

Carrie Donovan was a great lady of style.  She was a top Fashion editor and discovered many great designers and models in her day.  She loved finding talent, as she introduced Elsa Peretti to Tiffany.   Madame Donovan accessorized herself with turbans from Halston, Cuffs from Peretti, large Pearls and dressed in classics.   She was loved by everyone as she made every designer " feel good" - now who wouldn't like that?   When she walked into a room, you could hear her large bracelets or cuffs clang and you could smell her sweetness, she loved good perfume.  Often, french words would roll off her tongue in a "tres" chic manner.  If she liked something, she would say, "I'm mad about it!"  I met her several times while I was working as a design assistant at Ralph Lauren and she was always a lady.  Larger than life, a grande doyenne and arbiter of style.

9 comments:

annechovie said...

Thanks for the introduction, Patricia. I had never heard of her...
P.S. I like your new look on the blog!

Mary-Laure said...

I had never heard of her... She looks so terrific on the picture, so self-assured and stylish. I love the quirky glasses and the classic pearls!

pve design said...

Annechovie,
So glad I could make the introduction!
In her later years she did some commercials for
Old Navy. A sure test that "classic chic" never goes out of style!
Patricia

Mary-Laure,
Yes, she has a confident quirky style!
Just knew you would like her!
Patricia

Cakespy said...

Oh my goodness! She was a lovely lady. I always thought she was so funny on the ON commercials, and it's cool to find out she was the real deal!

a. said...

I own part of her estate...bought it at auction after she died. She's my personal idol.

pve design said...

a. - you lucky thing! love to see the part that you own!

ALL THE BEST said...

Love this post Patricia. It's so funny, I used the expression "I'm mad about" in my Ali Cockrean post today. It's one that I never use, but just seemed fitting to describe my feelings and then I just read your post!

pve design said...

Ronda,
Yes, I too use that expression, when I really am wild about something I am madly in love with it!
thanks,
Patricia

An Aesthete's Lament said...

I knew Carrie, and your comments are spot-on. She was absolute bliss, in every possible way. Truly life-enhancing.